Long before people came to Alta in search of “the greatest snow on earth”, they came to mine silver. Alta’s first mining claim was staked in 1865 and by 1872 Alta had become a booming town of 8000 residents. Due to economic problems, water in mines, expensive smelting and the demonetizations of silver, the town was nearly deserted by 1880.
In 1938, Alta Lift Company constructed the first Collins Ski Lift out of pieces of an unused mining tram and logs. George Watson who predicted, “Alta will be reborn on skis”, donated the land to the Forest Service.
The original Rustler Lodge was built by Howard Stillwell and Sverre Engen. Stillwell was born and raised in Alta in the late 1800’s. And Sverre Engen came over from Norway with his brother Alf.
The Rustler is built on the site where the Alta General Store once stood. The land is ideal as it is the only “avalanche-free” area in the Town of Alta.
The Lodge opened for business in 1947 with one floor of guest rooms and in 1954, it was purchased by Lee Bronson. In 1955, a second floor was added above the kitchen area and an additional 15 rooms were added in 1963 below the present Dining Room. Before the Dining Room opened in 1969, Lee Bronson and Bob Hoskins pioneered Alta heli-skiing from a helicopter pad located on the very spot where Rustler guests now dine.
The Lodge continued to grow in 1973 with the addition of 24 deluxe rooms, conference and sauna facilities. In the following year, the original pool was built and a Jacuzzi was added in 1978.
Today, the owners, Lee Bronson and Jeff Anderson continue to enhance the Rustler’s tradition of excellence. They have added 30 luxury rooms, the new Eagle’s Nest Lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows, a fitness center, a new Jacuzzi, steam room, massage therapy rooms, and a new outdoor heated pool. They also renovated the Lodge’s public areas and enhanced the existing amenities. Along with the continuing management team, they will preserve the friendly and relaxed atmosphere appreciated by our valued guests.